Optimizing for Google’s Featured Snippets: Get to SERP Position Zero for Your Site
Ranking number one used to be the best way to get the most clicks when it comes to Google’s search rankings. But nowadays, that’s no longer the case. Although being in the first position in Google’s search-engine-results-page (SERP) rankings still provides a lot of organic traffic (around 30 percent for given searches) it’s no longer the prime spot.
These days, to get the most traffic, you’ll want to get your SERP results to position zero and the best way to do so is optimizing content for featured snippets. Although the featured snippets section of Google has been around for years, it recently became one of the biggest tools for improving SERP rankings.
The team from Marketing Metrics Corp. has helped hundreds rise in the rankings with their SEO services, which is why we’re here to help. Let’s take a look at how featured snippets affect SERP rankings and the tools at your disposal to reach the best position possible, position zero!
What Exactly is a Featured Snippet?
Before diving into all the details, it’s important to first have a clear idea of precisely what Google means by a “featured snippet.” In the simplest of terms, a featured snippet is a direct answer to a search query that appears at the very top of the results page, above even the organic search results on Google’s SERP page. It can be in a number of different, easy-to-read formats, like a bulleted list, concise paragraphs, charts, tables, graphs, and more.
The reason why featured snippets are now more important than ever is because they occupy a large space on Google’s SERP pages, right front and center. Lower-ranking websites have a great opportunity to boost their rankings by optimizing their site for featured snippets.
How to Create a Featured Snippet
When it comes to having your very own featured snippet at the top of the SERP page, there are a few different ways to do so, all of which require tailoring and optimizing content for the best results.
Some of the best ways include:
- Choosing a Target Page: With snippets, it’s best to focus on a page you want to target to make it to position zero. One of the best ways to do so is by choosing a page that already ranks within the top five Google organic search results and optimizing it for feature snippets; you’ll have better chances this way. Additionally, pages with higher engagement numbers are more likely candidates as well.
- Choose a Relevant Query with High Search Volume: Selecting a query that is in-line with your business and the customers you serve is essential for creating a featured snippet. Figure out the most common questions customers are asking and the ones you can answer the best. Start by entering a basic search query related to your business in Google and refer to the “People Ask” section to get a better idea of which questions resonate most directly with your audience.
- Create “Snippable” Content: Once you’ve outlined some targeted queries, the next step is creating content that Google can easily turn into a featured snippet. Be sure whatever you choose is clear and easy to read, fits organically on your targeted webpage, and contains a brief headline with your SEO search terms. For those who’ve created a bulleted or numbered list, be sure to say so in an intro paragraph so Google knows a list it can feature as a snippet follows.
- Answer Related Questions: Answering related targeted questions on the same page can drastically increase your chances of being featured. If Google selects one of your answers on the page to feature, the other related answers on the same page have much more of a chance of being featured as well.
- Utilize Proper Formatting: Another important aspect of creating quality content for featured snippets is by ensuring you use formatting that Google will recognize. Some things to remember: always include H2, and H3 tags, and use normal text or list text tags respectively. Additionally, order your content with a headline first, then the text, and then a list to achieve the best possible results. Lastly, including an appropriately titled image, table, or graph to go along with the text info is another great way to rise to position zero.
Performing some research on sites like Reddit, Quora, and other Q&A sites is also a great way to get an idea of what type of content Google likes to feature. Search for questions related to your industry or business and see what comes up and how they look. You’ll also be able to see the questions people have already asked about that topic and which ones are missing; the missing ones are the ones you should try and answer.
Optimizing Your Website for SEO
Since Google only features snippets from the top five organic ranking search pages, having a solid SEO strategy is extremely important. Before diving into creating a featured snippet strategy, ensure that your targeted pages are up to date with the right industry-specific keywords, links, and unique content to ensure they make it to the top five.
Contact us today for SEO services!
Are you in need of comprehensive SEO services from a digital marketing expert? If so, Marketing Metrics Corp. would love to hear from you. With more than 55 years of collective marketing experience, we have a unique ability to leverage sales, marketing, and technology to help our clients achieve success.
In addition to our SEO services, our team is also equipped to provide PPC and display advertising solutions, website design services, video marketing solutions, and more. We specialize in the industrial and manufacturing sectors, offering our clients the best tools available to keep ahead of the competition.
For those interested in developing a strategy that will help generate leads and returns, and increase their bottom line, contact us online today. You can also call (262) 691-9229 to speak to one of our experts.